Saturday, February 23, 2008

Speaking of Hack Week Projects...

I didn't really have any ideas for Hack Week this year, so I had started off working with Paolo and Zoltan on optimizing Mono's RegEx engine. Unfortunately 1 week wasn't enough to accomplish what I had hoped to accomplish - luckily, Paolo and Zoltan were able to improve Mono's RegEx performance significantly without the need for the hacks I had planned to implement (and in fact did some a terrific job, I'm not sure my ideas would have made much of a difference).

That said, I'd like to jot down a few ideas I just had for the next Hack Week:

  • Implement an "Evolution Plugin" project type for MonoDevelop which would setup everything you need to start writing plugins for Evolution in C#. This would include things like templating the E-Plug xml files, pulling in appropriate Evolution# bindings and the like.
  • Implement an Evolution Plugin in C# that would filter spam messages based on charset information. Most of the spam I get seems to use a russian or asian charset, so a filter like this would be extremely valuable to me.

My biggest interest is in templating out an Evolution Plugin project type for MonoDevelop because I'd really like to see more outside developers writing plugins for Evolution and I think that this would be a great way to lower the bar, so to speak.

6 comments:

Whitemice Consulting said...

Fantastic! Having some specification for how to write Evolution plugins in C# and a template for doing so in Monodevelop would be terribly useful

Unknown said...

Wow Fejj. You rock. This is a great thing to see. I have been asking Sankar for a similar thing. Do you have the plugin location? I would like to kick start this in a big way. Thanks a lot Fejj for your great initiative!!!

Sankar said...

That is an awesome news .....

More comments here

Anonymous said...

Maybe this could help me to write a plugin for using an external editor.
It is a shame none is written yet.

Sankar said...

adrpater: It is implemented. Watch http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=517168

I am not sure if the gui configure optinos will be approved for 2.22 release. If you have source build, you can tryt he patch there.

In case teh new gui configs are not approved for 2.22, get evolution-plugins-experimental package. Then enable external-editor plugin.

Then export EDITOR=xemacs and choose
File->Compose in External Editor

Jeffrey Stedfast said...

Heh, people seem to be misunderstanding :(

I haven't actually implemented the plugin project type for MonoDevelop yet, it's just something I think would be cool to do for the next HackWeek (or sooner if I get the free time).

Code Snippet Licensing

All code posted to this blog is licensed under the MIT/X11 license unless otherwise stated in the post itself.