Thursday, April 26, 2007

Greenpeace and Al Gore: FUD machines

This Greenpeace video is just sad and pathetic and frustrates me to no end. Organizations spreading lies and false propaganda just makes me sad.

Now, don't get me wrong... some of the things that Greenpeace pushes are good, alternative energy sources among them - but why resort to playing to people's fears and just spewing absolute garbage?

Take this line of crap:

If drastic measures aren't taken soon, there won't be any fish left in the sea by the time I grow up.

Huh? Where's the proof backing this statement? Have fish stopped breeding and I just haven't gotten the memo? Just because Paul Ehrlich said so, doesn't mean it'll happen. Besides, didn't he say:

In ten years, all important life in the sea will be extinct.

back in 1970? Well, I guess we can say that prediction was a bunch of hot air, why is it any different now?

Speaking of Paul Ehrlich, I find the bet he had with Julian Simons pretty amusing. The man is just repeatedly proven wrong...

The results of that bet are pretty typical with these "the world will end" type predictions you see people like Al Gore and Greenpeace going on about. When will people learn they are full of hot air and only do this in their own quest for power? And why do people continue to give it to them? It just boggles my mind...

The polar ice caps will be gone

Again, huh? I'm sorry, kid, but the temperature will have to start changing a lot more rapidly than it has been for the polar ice caps to completely melt. 1 degree every 120 years ain't enough to melt them by the time you're 20 in 6-8 years.

On the topic of Global Warming, wasn't it also discovered recently that Mars was having similar climate changes?

Mars and Earth, for instance, have experienced periodic ice ages throughout their histories.

Exactly.

I have to wonder if Al Gore, the first time he was at a beach during a tide change, ran screaming "OH MY GOD! The world is coming to an end! The water is rising! We're all dooooomed!!! All the land will flood like that really bad Kevin Costner movie, Waterworld! We'll be forced to live on oil tankers!"

Ever hear of cycles? These changes happen and will continue to happen as long as the Earth is around.

Okay, back to the video:

oceans will rise, entire countries will vanish

... pretty drastic predictions there, too bad there's absolutely nothing but theories (from "scientists" desperate for their 15 minutes of fame) to back up these claims.

Hey Paul, care to make a bet about this?

If I were a gambler, I would take even money that England will not exist in the year 2000.

Oops, sorry Paul. Wrong again. Bzzzt.

there could be famine, world wide epidemics

That's something that could happen, even if humans didn't exist. Way to play to people's fears by preaching FUD. Have anything to say about this one, Paul?

The battle to feed humanity is over. In the 1970's the world population will undergo famines -- hundreds of millions of people are going to starve to death

Thanks, Paul, for that very enlightening prediction. Too bad you were wrong yet again. Keep trying though, someday one of your predictions might actually be correct - playing the odds and all that.

life expectancy will be lower

this is based on... what, exactly? Life expectancy has been increasing since the dawn of man. Sorry to burst your bubble. The CDC has statistics on this stuff if you want to see for yourself.

you adults have known about this for years, and though you could have done something about it, you haven't

...we haven't? Could have fooled me... I am seeing more electric/hybrid automobiles (granted, more could have been done here) every day. We've gotten wind turbines and solar power (wind turbines, at least, are now more cost efficient than most other power sources and I totally support migrating to this new energy source). We've seen Government action to reduce pollution. One need not even look beyond your own neighborhood to see that, especially for those of us who live in cities like Cambridge/Boston - the Charles River has gotten a lot cleaner over the years, even since I've moved here.

Some Environmentalists have good intentions, but I think many of them have gone off the deep end. I doubt many people would label me as an environmentalist, but I do love nature. I am all for doing my part to keep the environment as clean as I can - I don't litter, I try to save power, I don't drive an SUV (oh, does anyone else find it ironic that self-proclaimed environmentalists will often own SUVs? A bit hypocritical, don't you think?).

It makes me sad that most of the world blindly follows this propaganda like sheep, never once stopping to think for themselves.

You want to know the saddest part of this video? It's all to motivate people to use alternative energy sources. You want to know what would have been a better (and less FUDified) ad message? How about pointing out wind energy is now just-as if not more cost-efficient than the energy source their audience is currently using (assuming they aren't already using "clean" energy sources?).

Had they just stuck to facts, they would have had my support.

You want to motivate a wider audience to change their ways in order to make the world a cleaner place? Make the alternatives cheaper and people will move to them, you won't even have to preach. They'll just do it.

Whatever you do, don't resort to spreading lies and false propaganda... seriously. It pisses me off and does not rally me to your side to help fight the good fight.

We have enough lies from our leaders, don't continue the tradition.

For more on the hypocrisy of Al Gore, I found this article rather amusing.

Post a Comment

Code Snippet Licensing

All code posted to this blog is licensed under the MIT/X11 license unless otherwise stated in the post itself.